[Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 16:30:49 UTC 2007

On 6/7/07, Ilario Valdelli <valdelli at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1.Any member of the jury must NOT be involved in any way with the
> bidding town.
>
> If I am Chinese or I have Chinese origin (for example) I cannot be part
> of the jury if a Chinese town is candidate.

This isn't practical. There would be very few people who are able to
be involved if everyone from 20 or so countries that submit bids can
not be on the jury. The Board members are usually on the jury, so
you're implying that the US, France, the Netherlands, and Germany can
not even submit bids?

> 2.The name of any member of the jury must be secret until the final choice

I disagree with this. For transparency, everyone should know who is
making the decision and how that decision is made.

As a reminder, the draft Judging criteria are still at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania/Judging_criteria

Angela