[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 and reflecting on what Wikimania is all about

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 19:55:37 UTC 2007

Guillaume,

Good timing on the reminder :-)  12-24 months out is a good time to
plan bids. Another good idea that has been raised is defining a
process so that bids are resolved once a year, more than a year in
advance of Wikimania.

Some of the successful processes I've seen involve selecting a
location the year before (or two years before) at the event itself --
that allows a fair number of bid evaluators to meet in person; allows
the team that has just finished the event to debrief and directly pass
on ideas and advice to a future team; and passes on momentum from a
successful bid through an international audience once it is announced.

SJ