[Foundation-l] Following the conventions: seperating Wikisource

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 05:04:41 UTC 2007

Hoi,
When Wikisource is having content in languages that did not pass the process
for recognition for a new language for MediaWiki and for a Wikimedia
Foundation project, and when this content is restricted to
http://wikisource.org, there seems to be at first glance not much that the
language committee has to deal with. The problem however is that a code that
is used for such a language has to exist. There is also a need that the meta
data uses the right code. This allows for the information to be recognised
for the language that it is.

Also when a request is made for a language in Wikisource, it is can not be
separated from the status that a language has in the wider Wikimedia world.
An example are the two Belarusian languages that do not find it possible to
collaborate. The only reason why there are two wikipedias is because the
be-x-old data existed before the new policies came into effect. This would
not have been accepted as a separate project on its own merits.

Thanks,
     GerardM