[Foundation-l] Following the conventions: seperating Wikisource

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Tue Jun 5 23:46:49 UTC 2007

Hello,

Sabine Cretella a écrit :
> Hi Yann,
>
> I suppose that there is something that is not understood well: normally
> a new language is started with Wikipedia and therefore what comes later
> is quite easy to achieve since the UI is already there etc.
>
> When a new language is introduced by a different project, let's say
> Wiktionary, Wikisource or whatever project the same rules as for a new
> Wikipedia (in a new language) apply, because it starts a "new language".
>
> We are not controlling anything - we are just making sure that projects
> have the best possible start.

There is something special in Wikisource, at least for some languages,
is that there is no need to have a lot of content nor many contributors
to have something useful. This is specially true for dead languages.

I think Wikipedia or Wikibooks in a dead language are not useful,
although it could be fun. Wiktionary could be useful, but you need at
least some basic vocabulary to be useful. But for Wikisource, even only
a single old work could be very interesting and useful. For some
languages, there will never enough content nor contributors to create a
separate subdomain, but still we need a place to host these works. IMO,
this is the "raison d'être" of the multilingual Wikisource.

So I think that, at least for these dead languages, the whole procedure
of a new language through the Incubator is out of place.

And actually I think that this procedure is also quite good for living
languages, at least for Wikisource. The rules are easy and the same for
every language: public domain and already "published", be it on paper,
hard stone or papyrus...

> Best wishes from Italy,
>
> Sabine

Best regards,