[Foundation-l] Inclusion of Wikibooks

Ivan Lanin ivanlanin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 08:15:34 UTC 2007

Dear list members,

My name is Ivan Lanin, and I'm a bureaucrat from Indonesian Wikipedia.
We're currently cleaning up our encyclopedia articles. Some of the
articles regarding cities or areas in Indonesia that we have contains
too much details (such as lists of good restaurants, addresses of
public government office, etc.) to be contained in an encylopedia
article. At least that what most of us think.

There have been a discussion in local "village pump"
[[w:id:Wikipedia:Warung Kopi]] discussing this matter. Initially the
suggestion was to set up Indonesian Wikitravel and move the content
there, under the false assumption that Wikitravel is one of the
Foundation projects. That idea was withdrawn when people found out
that Wikitravel is not part of WMF's projects.

Instead, we were discussion of creating a "travel" book inside
Indonesian Wikibooks. We haven't seen any other wikibooks using this,
neither we see any other wikibooks holds information about travel. We
understand that Wikibooks are for "free textbooks contents", but we
think if we format the content just like a book, we could make it a
"traveler's book".

May I ask what the list members think about this? Do any of you have
the same experience as we have. Please share.

Thank you
--
Ivan Lanin