[Foundation-l] We should permit Flash video playback

Kat Walsh kat at mindspillage.org
Sat Jul 21 02:05:55 UTC 2007

On 7/20/07, Kim Bruning <kim at bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> If they support transcoding to Ogg Theora, I'm sure we can happily support
> _Gnash_ FLV in return O:-)
>
> > 1) we immediately begin serious discussions with the Internet Archive
> > about hosting some or all of our video content on their servers;
>
> I totally agree with other people that we can keep hosting in
> house. At the same time, maybe we can also set up some kind of feed
> or load-balancing with Internet Archive, just to make them feel
> happy and important. All the better to ahh.. help.. them understand
> our Open-Content mission.
>
> We should do this "cooperation" thing more often. You'd be
> surprised how many people we can recruit for our c^w^w^w^w
> cooperate with.
>
> Also, if we set up cooperations with enough people, even if they
> all have less bandwidth, well, it might start adding up in the long
> run, too.
>
> Finally it shows that we play well with others, which might get us
> some interesting forms of additional funding, which is never be a
> bad idea.

I'm completely open to pursuing partnerships in areas where it makes
sense to do so. I don't think it's a bad idea to look into IA hosting
some of the multimedia content we use -- or for that matter, a larger
group of similarly-minded orgs sharing hosting for a larger pool of
multimedia content -- though I defer to the tech team on the
specifics.

There are plenty of other ideas for working together that may make
sense, also; for example, it would be great if it were easier to
search for materials in compatible free content licenses and integrate
them into Wikimedia projects, or perhaps to search IA from within a
Wikimedia. page.

But there is no sense in cooperation for the sake of cooperation
alone, just for the sake of "playing well with others"; we have to
evaluate such things based on our own principles and mission first.

-Kat

--
Wikimedia needs you: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising