[Foundation-l] We should permit Flash video playback

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 20 22:48:42 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 05:50:44AM +0200, Erik Moeller wrote:
> The Internet Archive currently does not transcode to Ogg Theora, but
> has a transcoding pipeline in place for other codecs. They have
> recently started embedding the Flash-based open source "Flow Player"
> for playing back FLV files directly in the browser, and have added FLV
> to their transcoding pipeline.

If they support transcoding to Ogg Theora, I'm sure we can happily support
_Gnash_ FLV in return O:-)

> 1) we immediately begin serious discussions with the Internet Archive
> about hosting some or all of our video content on their servers;

I totally agree with other people that we can keep hosting in
house. At the same time, maybe we can also set up some kind of feed
or load-balancing with Internet Archive, just to make them feel
happy and important. All the better to ahh.. help.. them understand
our Open-Content mission.

We should do this "cooperation" thing more often. You'd be
surprised how many people we can recruit for our c^w^w^w^w
cooperate with.

Also, if we set up cooperations with enough people, even if they
all have less bandwidth, well, it might start adding up in the long
run, too.

Finally it shows that we play well with others, which might get us
some interesting forms of additional funding, which is never be a
bad idea.

> Having an open source Flash implementation & an open source Flash
> player does not address the patent issues with Flash video, but those
> who are concerned about violating software patents (which are not
> universally applicable anyway) could still use the provided Theora
> files.

This sounds like a job for Mike Godwin. Mike?

read you soon,
	Kim Bruning
--
[Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key  FEF9DD72