[Foundation-l] We should permit Flash video playback

Roger Luethi collector at hellgate.ch
Fri Jul 20 15:02:33 UTC 2007

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:20:24 +0200, Erik Moeller wrote:
> I think we should base such a decision on hard numbers as much as
> possible. It's hard to define a "threshold of tolerance" for
> proprietary formats, but, making up a couple of numbers on the spot,
> if
> - two-thirds of users can play the file in question without installing
> additional software;

Isn't that saying "it must be supported by the default Windows install",
just in different words? Flash could make the list, but that might already
be the end of it. I doubt even Java would make it.

I see the benefits of making content more accessible, but I'd prefer the
foundation focusing on efforts to ease the installation of free codecs. If
more users had free codecs installed, it would benefit us all.

Roger