[Foundation-l] We should permit Flash video playback

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 20 07:20:24 UTC 2007

On 7/20/07, Roger Luethi <collector at hellgate.ch> wrote:
> > Having an open source Flash implementation & an open source Flash
> > player does not address the patent issues with Flash video, but those

> Would that line of reasoning extend to MP3 audio (which AFAIK is currently
> banned for patent reasons)?

I think we should base such a decision on hard numbers as much as
possible. It's hard to define a "threshold of tolerance" for
proprietary formats, but, making up a couple of numbers on the spot,
if
- two-thirds of users can play the file in question without installing
additional software;
- this number does not fall below 50% in any major world region (if we
control for bandwidth & cost of access issues, as Gregory notes),

.. I would consider that to be acceptable. If this threshold cannot be
reached, we should at least explore the option of increasing the
number of users who can play back files by supporting proprietary
formats _in addition to_ free ones (while strongly recommending the
installation of free codecs, explaining the reasoning, etc.).

Such a test could then be applied to Vorbis, Theora, or any other file format.

--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik