[Foundation-l] (no subject)

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Jul 10 00:15:07 UTC 2007

On 7/9/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 7/11/07, dex2000 <sir48 at lite.dk> wrote:
> > In addition, board members being responsible for maintaining and developing
> > an international operation like the foundation should be entitled to much
> > higher compensation. Jimbo mentioned EUR 10.000 - and I was stunned. The
> > first - and modest - goal to aim for IMHO would rather be EUR 100.000.
>
> We are a non-profit and this isn't how non-profit Boards work; even a
> small compensation would be unusual

This is the sense I got, but I decided to look into whether or not it
was true.  In fact, it is quite true: "According to BoardSource, only
about 2 percent of nonprofits compensate board members and it is
unusual outside of large, complex entities such as health care systems
or large foundations."
http://nonprofit.about.com/od/nonprofitbasics/f/boardcomp.htm

But then again, how many non-profits have multiple board members who
spend 40 hours a week devoted to their position?