[Foundation-l] (no subject)

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Jul 9 23:19:01 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, dex2000 <sir48 at lite.dk> wrote:
> In addition, board members being responsible for maintaining and developing
> an international operation like the foundation should be entitled to much
> higher compensation. Jimbo mentioned EUR 10.000 - and I was stunned. The
> first - and modest - goal to aim for IMHO would rather be EUR 100.000.

We are a non-profit and this isn't how non-profit Boards work; even a
small compensation would be unusual, and prohibited by the current
bylaws.  All of us are happy to serve as unpaid volunteers, and Steve
is correct that there is no shortage of people willing to do so. At
the same time, let's be fair and reasonable in accommodating the needs
of individual human beings.

Those who would eliminate something completely reasonable like
dependent care expenses from the list of valid reimbursements are
doing so under the banner of financial responsibility. In reality,
petty bean counting exercises like this are irresponsible and
short-sighted. Lowering your barrier to participation and reducing
burn-out risk has the potential to _save_ you the equivalent of tens
of thousands of dollars of volunteer contributions. Good governance
requires more than a red pencil and a collection of platitudes.
--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik