[Foundation-l] (no subject)

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 17:22:05 UTC 2007

On Jul 9, 2007, at 1:01 PM, Sebastian Moleski wrote:

>  Otherwise, the only people able to
> volunteer for your organization are people who are financially
> independent.

Uh, that's a good thing. You don't want people who rely on their
board position for their finances. Every board I have ever been on,
known someone personally who has been on, has disallowed it.  The WMF
board is a volunteer position. That means you chose to do it. Nobody
held a gun to your head and said "Join the board". As such, the
applying member should take their children into consideration: can
they support them while sitting on the board or not?

On Jul 9, 2007, at 12:55 PM, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> Reimbursement of board expenses is quite important to
> ensuring that people are able to serve without their service being a
> financial burden.

Child care is not a board expense. Child care is a personal expense.
The struggle of the stay-at-home single parent is not unique,
millions of people are undergoing it. They do not receive reimbursed
child care. Working parents generally do not either. Why should a
board member?

Lets remember what the purpose of the board is: to guide the WMF
organization. It is NOT to take financial care of the board member's
families, and it is NOT fiscally responsible to do so.

-Dan Rosenthal.