[Foundation-l] (no subject)

Sebastian Moleski sebmol at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 17:01:55 UTC 2007

On 7/9/07, The Uninvited Co., Inc <uninvited at nerstrand.net> wrote:

> <<<Michael Bimmler wrote
>
> Are you seriously comparing cats to children and other dependents?
> Focusing on children:
> In my opinion, a mature organisation recognises that there are persons
> (I don't say "women", I say "persons", incl. men) who have children to
> look after but nevertheless want to have a job / have a career / work
> in a NGO.
> You basically state "If you have children and can't pay a babysitter,
> you shouldn't be allowed to be a board member" and I consider this to
> be rather an affront and a quite out-of-time opinion.
> >>>

> I have kids at home.  I travel for my job.  When I do so, I am not
> reimbursed for dependent care.

If you get paid halfway decently, I think it's justifiable to expect you to
take care of your dependent's care on your own while traveling on business.
If you're volunteering your time without compensation, it should be in the
organization's best interest to make sure that such volunteering doesn't
create an undue burden on the volunteers. Otherwise, the only people able to
volunteer for your organization are people who are financially independent.
While that is certainly a possible strategy, I doubt it's suitable for
Wikimedia.

Sebastian

P.S. Could you please retain the subject in your responses so it's easy to
identify to which e-mail/thread you're responding?