[Foundation-l] Promotion of Indian languages

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 19:48:02 UTC 2007

geni schreef:
> On 1/25/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I can't find the exact source, but Alan Cox, the Linux kernel
>> developer, said that he was learning Welsh because "in fifty years,
>> languages that aren't on computers won't exist." I suggest that
>> applies to languages without Wikipedias too. Do you think this can be
>> leveraged to invoke some local linguistic pride and work?
>>

> After the Montenegrin mess do you really want to risk the forces of
> linguistic pride getting involved?
>
> In any case it isn't true. With have the data storage capacity today
> to make sure lanaguages don't cease to exist but the internet pushes
> us towards the situtation where they will be only one living language.
> Personaly I don't have a problem with this.
Hoi,
The refusal of the Montenegrin was not a mess. Furthermore this matter
is not closed with the denial of this project.

I sincerely hope that your vision of the future will never happen. To me
is is a horrible view of the future. One single language with many
cultures doomed as a result. No thanks. NB where to go on a holiday,
every thing is the same ... BRRRR

Thanks,
     GerardM