[Foundation-l] Mail archives

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 19 14:46:12 UTC 2007

I wanted to look up the detailed report that was
posted to the list after the Frankfurt retreat.  I
have entually found it but in the process had some
troubles because not realizing that Anthere has been
using two different email addresses caused me to miss
seeing it when searching by "Author".  If any of you
are familiar with using our archives, you realize how
frustrating it can be to find (or not find) a message
you half remember.

The thing that I realized while looking for this
information is that everyone is relying much to
heavily on these archives.  I knew that that all the
links from the past list summaries had been scrambled.
 I went to the WMF website hoping to find the
information there after my failure in the archives.  I
found that the WMF website also uses links to the
archives. [1]  All of these links have been scrambled
in the past week and the archive is gernerally not
something that can be expected to be stable.

I ask you to consider making an effort to mirror any
offcial messages or detailed reports either on the WMF
or Meta instead of simply repairing the existing
links.  These messages become rather hard to find once
the links go bad.  If this is decided to be a bad idea
for some reason; then please consider using a
standardized subject for such messages.  Everyone
should think twice about linking to the archive in
general.  If you expect people to be reading what
write in six months, I would encourage you to quote
the message instead of linking.

Birgitte SB

[1] http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home
(See: "Wikimedia Board reorganization" read more link)