[Foundation-l] Wikipedia and the search engine wars (was: Re: P2 - PEERPEDIA

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 17:03:50 UTC 2007

On 1/18/07, thomasasta at gmx.net <thomasasta at gmx.net> wrote:
> So.. searching and providing information is the core competency of wikipedia and the >foundations mission... and this is in the next step the webcontent outside wikipedia.

There is a difference between providing information, indexing
information, and searching for information.

> wikipedia is a good startpoint to learn and explore, and this is not bounded to the world >outside, sic the webinks: so we need a search engine.

We seem to get by without one.

> The open and participation movement has to go on, for the rest of the web and correlated >to the community of wikipedia, this is why the foundation is in the boat to develop or >support a p2p search engine.

Not really.

> Is it too much asked, to not code this app?

We have no spare developer resources.

> to not promote this app?

We generally try to avoid directly promoting third party projects.

> Just to add the wikiedia content to the index yacy machine? This job can do 50 servers, >we do not need human resources, so this is why I asked for 10.000 dollars for the >hardware.

There are a lot of other things we could do with $10,000

> Sometimes I think the money is spent wrong because of a satisfied organization with a >lack of innovation and inspiration. All are satisfied with the wikipedia, which is a stable >system and the money is done to any bureau copy machine, than to invest into the >hardware for new adresesm, users get information from.

Wikipedia is hardly our only project. there is commons Wiktionary,
Wikinews, Wikiversity etc.

>Don´t missunderstand me. I tried to start a subproject to found here
as well, but it is not >granted, so we need just the hardware.

Experience suggests you would need far more than that.

>50 servers for 199 Euro, which is 150 US Dollars per each.

I think there is an error in you calculations.

> The foundation needs to realize it´s own core competencies: providing information and >now it is time to get rid of the boarder of wiki-urls and rest of the world urls. We need an >indexing p2p machine.

Why?

> The claim itself came from Jimmy Wales, himself Founder of the open participatin idea, >and generated a big hypoe in the world.

Umm wikis are generally credited to Ward Cunningham.

> But now, as wikiseek is out and discussions have been done, we see, that a advertising >for profit peroject is the wrong way. It should have been in the right place here discussed >from the foundation.

Wikiseek doesn't have much to do with us.

> I wounder, why this is not done and how we can get into it.
> Wikiasari idea is even mroe related to wikifoundation than to wikiasari.
> This shows wikiseek, which expells back to wikipedia.

Neither are foundation projects.

> And this is the reason I am trying to vote here for 10.000 Dollars for 50 yacy desktop >computers to index every wikipedia to this p2p network as an alternativ eopen source >search eninge.
>
> So who can decide over the dollars to buy this hardware?

Technically that would be within the remit of the board but they are
unlikely to do so

> Well, it need not to be 50 in the fist moth, let´s say 10 for the english wikipedia and we >create as well a demo-search portal with a big local index of wikipedia like >www.yacysearch.com

Have you any idea how big the en .wikipedia database is?

> Furthermore, why can´t any foudation list member answer the question, which software >for the wikipediasearch box are used right now as a centrals earch engine? is financial and >technical staff so devided?

Going by [[Special:version]] we use LuceneSearch.
--
geni