[Foundation-l] free access to the sum of all human knowledge

David Strauss david at fourkitchens.com
Sun Jan 14 20:43:49 UTC 2007

I agree that we're working toward an inspirational, valuable goal, but
we cannot ignore the realities of achieving it.

If we ignore all countries' laws, we cease to exist for legal reasons.

If we abide by all countries' laws, we cease to exist for content reasons.

We have to find a middle ground, and all the inspiration and
introspection about free knowledge in the world won't help us find it.
We need to have the discussions we're having right now.

When Wikipedia was younger, the communities were much smaller and more
homogeneous. We weren't on the legal radar of many organizations, and
the community generally agreed on most issues.

The discussions we're having aren't a sign of weakness in our projects.
They're a sign that Wikipedia has grown large enough that it must
confront these issues.

Tough discussions like these are what push the free knowledge movement
forward. The international interaction strips away the echo chambers
that plague smaller-scale discussions and forces us to define what free
knowledge means.

And that's progress, not disintegration.