[Foundation-l] free access to the sum of all human knowledge

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Jan 14 16:51:45 UTC 2007

Imagine a world in which every single person is given free access to
the sum of all human knowledge.  Seriously, don't just read the words,
imagine it.  Forget about rules-lawyering and what Wikipedia is not
and think about what it would take to achieve something of that
magnitude.

I imagine a collaborative tool that allows me to upload and download
information in a seamless fashion, and one which allows me to search
through that information to find what it is that interests me.
Getting a bit more detailed and realistic, I imagine a website that
allows its visitors to find information about virtually anything, one
which allows its visitors to *easily* add knowledge that isn't yet
assimilated, and one which allows its visitors to index that knowledge
in a way which will help others find what they are looking for.

Am I way off, or are there others out there on this list who would
like to create something like that?  If so, how can we do it without
ruffling the feathers of those who have a different preconceived
notion of what it is the foundation is doing?  Does this need to be a
separate project?

I have a feeling that some people are going to respond by saying that
Wikipedia is already pretty much doing this.  Before you say that
please at least note the part about it being *easy* to add knowledge.

Anthony