[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 20:35:17 UTC 2007

It is better to have no picture at all then a non-free picture, as that
non-free picture is shaking the fundaments on which Wikipedia and of course
the other wikimedia-projects is built. What would wikipedia be without a
free license?

Some time ago there was no free text available either in the context of
wikipedia. That has changed. With pictures it will change as well.

I would like to say as well that a lot of times institutions claim rights on
the area of copyright they do *not* have. That is of course understandable,
they want to stay in control. I would advice the italian community to seek
advice from experts (maybe that could be done by the foundation or wikimedia
italia?) to find our whether these claims are justifyable and whether they
will stand in court as well. You prooved today that it is indeed important
to have that found out. And maybe it would be better to loose a case in test
tryal in court on this as to be incertain forever. I dont know, i leave that
up to the legal department. but maybe we should just consider.

Lodewijk