[Foundation-l] Mission/Vision Statement

Łukasz Garczewski lgarczewski at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 12:05:51 UTC 2007

On 1/5/07, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> I want to point out to all, that it says to provide the information for
> free in perpetuity. It does not say anything at all about
> advertisements, sponsorships or whatever. The implication is that first
> and foremost the data is to be provided for FREE, the rest is thereby
> fluff, nice fluff but fluff. It is not what we explicitly do.

Let me correct you on that: it most certainly does not say "for FREE".
What it says is "free of charge". Perhaps my command of English is not
good enough and I can't fully understand what that implies, but to me
at least placing an ad does not "charge" the viewer in any way.

Also, if it does not say something should/is to be done, that does not
have to mean it cannot be done. That's stretching it.

Please note that I am not trying to make a case for ads on Wikimedia
projects here. I do not have a firm opinion on whether we should
engage in that or not. I am simply pointing out something which, to
me, is reading something that isn't there.

--
Łukasz 'TOR' Garczewski