[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies (some important points)

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 15:50:45 UTC 2007

> On 2/8/07, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/8/07, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  >"fair dealing" / "fair use"
> >
> > Any equiverlence between the two is nominal at best. If we restricted
> > en to fair dealing we would probably be deleting 1/4 million images
> > (movie posters album covers pics of people basicaly everything except
> > art and some screenshots)
>
> You yourself admitted to me that, so long as we are
> discussing/commenting on/criticizing the posters or album covers, that
> they are fine.

Sure. So we will have maybe 6 covers that are not deleted. This covers
only a timy percentage of our images. Most are without commentry

> I think your mistake is thinking that they are fine without discussion
> under US law. Even with a most hopeful reading of the case law in the
> US it's still clear that our position is stronger when we discuss.

I know this. I also know that that is a battle I cannot win on en as
things stand.

> In any case, it makes more sense in the long run to solve those cases
> by including some discussion rather than by deleting the images....
> if the image really is so boring that it deserves no discussion, then
> I do not think we lose much by deleting it.

Tried that. The wikiproject albums people had a fit. I don't want to
try this with the movie people I'm not usre I can afford to be that
unpopular right now.

--
geni