[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies (some important points)

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 16:01:31 UTC 2007

> Sure. So we will have maybe 6 covers that are not deleted. This covers
> only a timy percentage of our images. Most are without commentry
> > In any case, it makes more sense in the long run to solve those cases
> > by including some discussion rather than by deleting the images....
> > if the image really is so boring that it deserves no discussion, then
> > I do not think we lose much by deleting it.
> Tried that. The wikiproject albums people had a fit. I don't want to
> try this with the movie people I'm not usre I can afford to be that
> unpopular right now.

Perhaps their position will change now that they see high level
support for being more careful about what we include?  ... This is the
advantage of being somewhat strict about our "big goals": People who
do not care if Wikipedia is free will now help make it more free,
because they must in order to achieve the pretty articles they desire.
:)

It's my view that it's a little counter productive for you to only
point out the negative "We must delete a zillion images" rather than
saying the more useful "We must add a lot of discussion to wikipedia
or remove images" just because you think people will not do it. Have
some confidence in our communities. :)

> > I think your mistake is thinking that they are fine without discussion
> > under US law. Even with a most hopeful reading of the case law in the
> > US it's still clear that our position is stronger when we discuss.
> I know this. I also know that that is a battle I cannot win on en as
> things stand.

I don't know why it's so hard, at least on enwiki  that we must
discuss has long been an established requirement.  This is why enwiki
does not permit fair use galleries.

When you run into these discussions, please invite me.