[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies (some important points)

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 15:33:20 UTC 2007

> On 2/8/07, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >"fair dealing" / "fair use"
>
> Any equiverlence between the two is nominal at best. If we restricted
> en to fair dealing we would probably be deleting 1/4 million images
> (movie posters album covers pics of people basicaly everything except
> art and some screenshots)

You yourself admitted to me that, so long as we are
discussing/commenting on/criticizing the posters or album covers, that
they are fine.

I think your mistake is thinking that they are fine without discussion
under US law. Even with a most hopeful reading of the case law in the
US it's still clear that our position is stronger when we discuss.

In any case, it makes more sense in the long run to solve those cases
by including some discussion rather than by deleting the images....
if the image really is so boring that it deserves no discussion, then
I do not think we lose much by deleting it.