[Foundation-l] A dangerous precedent

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 28 21:08:33 UTC 2007

--- Daniel Arnold <arnomane at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am Freitag, 28. Dezember 2007 19:57:46 schrieb
> Birgitte SB:
> > For my part I can only encourage you to work to
> educate vo.WP that they have
> > a common responsibilty with the other Wikipedias.
>
> Well I tried to do this. Maybe not long enough...

I don't know how long you have been working on this
but here is yardstick from my experiences.  I began
seriously working on the en.WP policy of blocking
non-latin usernames in Oct 2006 [1]. The issue was not
completely settled by that community in favor of
allowing editors to have non-latin usernames till
January 2007 [2].  These things do take time.

> > If you show some flexability on your part I
> imagine you can get the existing
> > admins to delete to worst of the pages you are
> concerned about and set-up a
> > plan for improving the rest.
>
> I hoped people do actually read my invitation in the
> very top of my request:
>
> "I therefore ask for adminship rights in Volapük
> Wikipedia ____or any other
> appropriate measure___ in order to remove the
> articles from Volapük
> Wikipedia, which were not written or substantially
> expanded by humans."
>
> I even reiterated this in a discussion thread on
> this proposal in meta.
>
> I cannot do more than asking people to brainstorm
> about efficient ways how to
> solve this whole mess if they even disagree that
> there is a huge mess.
>
> How can I proceed with discussing point 2 if people
> even don't agree at point
> 1?

It is generally hard to sucessfully brainstorm once
voting is setup.  All the same there does seem to be
some brainstorming of alternate solutions going on
within your proposal page. [3] [4] So I do not think
it is so hopeless.

Birgitte SB

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Username/Archive_2#Protest