[Foundation-l] Moderation and this list

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Dec 21 21:25:05 UTC 2007

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> It might be better to have the limit be on a per-day basis?

I don't think so.  Sometimes when you have been away for a week
and need to catch up, you can post useful comments on four or five
messages, and it would be harmful to block that.  But someone
posting one or two messages every day at an even pace becomes a
burden for all of the list.  So a quota should span a week or
longer. The mailing list archive is organized by month, so that
seems to be a natural and reasonable unit.

> My guess is that Thomas's contributions were not 3 per day evenly
> spaced, but zero for a significant part of the time and then massive
> participation in one or two threads that got overwhelming.

  Posts
      3 Date: Fri, 2 Nov
     17 Date: Sat, 3 Nov
      3 Date: Sun, 4 Nov
      3 Date: Mon, 5 Nov
      1 Date: Tue, 6 Nov
      1 Date: Thu, 8 Nov
      1 Date: Fri, 9 Nov
      1 Date: Sat, 10 Nov
      1 Date: Tue, 13 Nov
      2 Date: Fri, 16 Nov
      7 Date: Sat, 17 Nov
      8 Date: Sun, 18 Nov
      2 Date: Mon, 19 Nov
     10 Date: Wed, 21 Nov
     14 Date: Thu, 22 Nov
     10 Date: Fri, 23 Nov
      5 Date: Sun, 25 Nov
      4 Date: Mon, 26 Nov
      4 Date: Wed, 28 Nov

Maybe he has this free time on his hands, maybe he writes fast.
But the list deteriorates.  It becomes boring for the good people
and newcomers are scared away.  It's just like Loud Howard in a
Dilbert strip.  Or like a broken window neighborhood.

> (I am not picking on Thomas here, other than that he was at the
> top of the list, volume-wise.)

But I can afford to play bad cop here.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)