[Foundation-l] Welcome Sue !

Ben Yates ben.louis.yates at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 00:25:49 UTC 2007

Kelly is sensationalist, but she's sharp.  She has a rare combination
of deep knowledge about wikipedia and a deep suspicion of everyone and
everything (by contrast, the harshest wikipedia critics have
traditionally been woefully misinformed about how the project works),
which means she turns over rocks that other people don't.

Frankly, I think insiders need to start displaying more humility.
There's a bit of a PR crisis going on.  If kelly makes valid points in
a needlessly abrasive way, nobody's going to win an argument against
her by saying she's a troll.

On Dec 19, 2007 4:57 PM, Nathan Awrich <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I had to decide which set of statements is more poisonous (and
> pointless) I'd run with Kelly Martin's. Invective seems to be her
> style, and I guess as she's found it hasn't been very productive in
> achieving her goal (whatever that may be). On the other hand, she has
> got all kinds of sources! Each post apparently has a whole set of
> secret sources! (At least three this time, but maybe more?) Anonymous
> sources, who also post to her blog anonymously... Was this the irony
> she was referring to?
>
> On the other hand, regarding private lists - have you considered
> making the community lists publically viewable but only allowing the
> specific group of people you've identified to post? By community lists
> I mean lists with contributors who aren't officially connected to or
> bound by WMF. Internal communications, in keeping with the standard
> corporate meaning, should include people internal to the actual
> organizational structure who are bound by confidentiality agreements.
>
> Just in general terms, anything you say to a semi-public audience will
> eventually leak - better to just address the public audience first,
> and say only what you wouldn't mind everyone hearing. And when Kelly
> comments, don't feed.
>

> Nathan

Ben Yates
Wikipedia blog - http://wikip.blogspot.com