[Foundation-l] Czech Wikipedia's EDP and WMF's licensing policy

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Wed Dec 19 12:17:36 UTC 2007

I have absolutely no idea what the potential legal issues you may face may
be. However, I assume from your mail you already have a limited collection
of images you have tagged as "fair use" (eg company logos). Unless you have
lawyers or - at least - law students working on the project you might not be
able to get good advice on how you should handle the issue and avoid
problems.

My (purely personal) opinion is you should make an issue out of this before
it becomes a problematic issue for the foundation. Approach organisations
you've covered and used logos from under fair use and where coverage has
been non-controversial. Discuss with groups like this how your local laws
may be inappropriate for a totally free press *before* you're in conflict
with them. It may not work with your legal system, but I'm not aware of any
that doesn't take precedent and the like into account. If you have this
history and someone who gets negative coverage decides to make an issue out
of it you've already laid the groundwork to defeat their argument.

Brian McNeil