[Foundation-l] Discussions...

Michael Bimmler mbimmler at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 19:10:39 UTC 2007

On Dec 16, 2007 8:04 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Firstly, thank you for going public with this request, rather than
> continuing to try and stifle discussion in private. I do note,
> however, that in the private emails, you threaten moderation, in the
> public one it's a nice polite request... clearly you know the threats
> were misplaced, or you wouldn't be afraid of making them in public.
> Please listen to your conscience in future.

Thank you for your feedback... I think everyone has got the message
even if I don't put the very word "moderation" in every message. I am
still true to my original "threats", as you call them. Polite requests
have never helped much in heated discussions.

> This is a major issue effecting the foundation, and it entirely
> appropriate discussion for this list. If people are repeating the same
> points, it simply means they aren't satisfied with the responses they
> are getting.

And surely you will get more responses if you continue to be a
nuisance.... Come on, you know exactly that this is a strawman.

>If people are bored, I recommend they get an email client
> that does automatic threading and then simply ignore threads they
> aren't interested in.

Uh, no. You're misunderstanding something here. This is not "One
individual or a small group of people decides what he/they want to
talk about and the rest of the list should please either ignore
him/them or desubscribe". This is rather "The list as a whole decides
what it wants to talk about and individuals should either abide by
this or desubscribe".

Michael