[Foundation-l] Is popularity a good thing for us?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 15:43:48 UTC 2007

On 16/12/2007, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Your point on immediatism is a problem for WP, but is the whole
> purpose of WN. If more contributors were aware of the split here, and
> tried to keep "breaking news" on WN, and then moved to WP after the
> story has settled down and the page been locked, then there would be
> less of a problem and more inter-project coordination. Breaking news
> simply is not, and should not be, the purview of Wikipedia.

In that case I'm thinking more of things like the policy on material
about living persons. It's all written to follow directly from NPOV,
no original research and verifiability, *but* there's an urgency to it
which leads to unavoidable drastic action which creates problems
within the community. We aren't as free to take things slowly and get
them perfect when there's a slander-filled article as the first Google
hit on the subject's name.

- d.