[Foundation-l] Is popularity a good thing for us?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Dec 16 16:04:36 UTC 2007

This is really a wikipedia-l or wikien-l thread, as non-Wikipedias
don't really have a popularity problem.  At the same time, though,
Wikipedia and/or the English Wikipedia don't really have a governing
structure, so talking about structured change on those threads is kind
of pointless.  But I'll let the moderators decide whether or not this
thread should be moved.

On Dec 16, 2007 10:03 AM, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote:
> +our goal is to spread this knowledge freely to all humanity. People
> knowing of our existence is a prerequisite to them using our
> knowledge.

I think that's by far the strongest argument against intentionally
being less popular.

But it seems so easily solved.  Have two sites, one for building the
content and a separate one for distributing the finished pieces of it
to all humanity.

Stable versions can be seen as an attempt to get there, but I haven't
seen a good implementation of it yet.  Separating the building of the
content from the distribution of it is a radical change - I don't see
it being adequately achieved through a gradual and compromise-filled
process.