[Foundation-l] Racism in Commons

Nathan Awrich nawrich at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:39:33 UTC 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong - the various Wikimedia projects have
different aims, but you can generally describe them as the
accumulation of information to community specific standards so that
this information can then be displayed to the public. Commons, on the
other hand, is a service provided not to the public generally but to
Wikimedia projects - therefore, the policies that apply to externally
useful articles/reports/books etc. need not necessarily apply to the
storage of media at Commons.

I think it would be a mistake for the Foundation board to declare, by
fiat, that all Wikimedia projects must adhere to a specific content
policy (aside from legal policies such as copyright protection etc).

~Nate