[Foundation-l] Racism in Commons

Yoni Weiden yonidebest at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:24:20 UTC 2007

I am happy to see that the images were removed from Ariel Sharon's page.
Thats one setp. However, I still have a problem with categories like
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Caricatures_of_Ariel_Sharon
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Politics_of_the_Palestinian_territories
and such. There images should be hosted by Wikimedia, except for one or two
images - for educational reasons (like I said - the Hebrew Wikipedia has one
cartoon example on the artist's page).

Regarding double standard - I have no idea whats going on in other pages. I
can imagine that this artist and others have infected other pages too, incl.
Bush's page, and even Hitler's page. These pages should be *clean* from
racist images that promote nothing Wikimedia stands for.

I would like Wikimedia board members to set a resolution to force Commons to
create some sort of NPOV policy and to force them to clean their site -
Ariel Sharon's page, Bush's page and even Hitler's page. Futhermore, I think
the foundation should publish a basic NPOV policy that will bind all
projects.

Hosting such pictures in the name of education is taking the word to a new
and unwanted level.

Thanks,
Yoni