[Foundation-l] [Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Craig Spurrier craig at craigweb.net
Wed Aug 22 18:49:03 UTC 2007

Ted (Hsiang-Tai) Chien wrote:
> Generally I like the idea because:
>
> * It means we are serious about WikiNews and mean it to make it an official
> news agency.
> * If you are not credited by a well-known organization or an organization
> people heard about, people in Asia would not believe you are really a
> journalist or a reporter and will not allow you to get to the press
> conference (or crime scene) for a news story.

This is the case for most of the world except in the countries that have
government issued press credentials. I believe a Wikinews foundation
could help solve this problem.
> BTW, it's not easy to found a non-profit organization in Asia (or in
> Taiwan). Is it OK the proposed WikiNews Foundation to support Wikimedia
> Chapters in Asia for crediting and not to found another WikiNews local
> chapter?

One of the wonderful things about what a Wikinews foundation could do is
that we have no real need to split into country chapters. There would be
one Wikinews foundation to serve the world.
-Craig Spurrier
[[n:Craig Spurrier]]