[Foundation-l] [Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Aug 22 01:14:28 UTC 2007

On 8/21/07, Craig Spurrier <craig at craigweb.net> wrote:
> Freedom of press is of course the biggest one. The US also has a
> copyright system, which far from ideal is decent and well tested. The US
> also has relatively easy rules for establishing a non profit (beyond
> establishment it can get complicated but is very well documented and
> there is no shortage of experts)  The US also has very reporter friendly
> fair use and libel laws.

Canada was ranked highly by Reporters Without Borders for freedom of
the press, and I've heard good things about their nonprofit laws.

> The other big benifit to establishing it in the
> US is we have a vast pool of resources that we can draw on from the WM
> foundation who are already familiar with US law.

Maybe.  But one benefit from establishing it outside the US is that it
has greater potential to expand the pool of resources.

My comments about freedom of press in the US were questions, hence the
question marks.  One link I found to kind of answer the question was
Reporters Without Borders freedom of the press index.
http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=639  Canada stuck out
from that list in my mind because I had heard they had liberal
non-profit organization laws.