[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] "Wicked-pedia"in today's Daily Mail

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed Apr 25 00:30:15 UTC 2007

On 4/24/07, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> Does anyone like the basic idea?  If a few people do, maybe we can
> work out the details and then re-present it to the foundation.  But
> darn that privacy issue, that might just be the achilles heel of the
> idea.

Some more info: [[Wikipedia:Checked edits brainstorming]], [[Wikipedia
talk:Checked edits brainstorming]]

"I'll just turn it off if no-one wants to use it. Judging by the
frequency with which edits are being checked at the moment, I think we
can assume that no-one does."  - Tim Starling, Jan 6, 2005

"A little time after it was turned off, 0.8% of edits and 8% of new
pages in the last week had been marked as patrolled. For anons only,
2.6% of edits and 18% of creations had been marked as patrolled.
Jamesday 11:12, 6 Jan 2005 (UTC)"

Also, I believe there is a new feature since then - patrollers can
automatically mark any edit they view as patrolled.

I still think this could be salvaged.  Maybe a counter, capped at 10,
which is incremented whenever a patroller (unblocked user with at
least X edits) marks an edit as patrolled, or automatically set at 10
whenever a trusted user (initial implementation, admins) views an
edit.

It's not foolproof, or vandalproof, but a list of unpatrolled related
changes to Category:Living people sorted by OLDEST first might
actually catch something, and catching something is better than
catching nothing, right?

Anthony