[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] "Wicked-pedia"in today's Daily Mail

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Apr 24 23:47:58 UTC 2007

On 4/24/07, Platonides <Platonides at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anthony wrote:
> > We have enough eyes to catch this sort of thing much faster.  Can we
> > please have some effort put into designing a system to utilize those
> > eyes efficiently?  I'm not really talking about stable versions - a
> > simple system to list the "least examined edits" would be enough.
> > Defining which users count as valid "examiners" would be the hardest
> > part of the implementation, but *any* half-assed definition of who
> > qualifies would improve the system drastically.
> >
> > C'mon, this could be implemented in a couple weeks by a single person
> > working a few hours a day.  I'm forwarding this to foundation-l.
> >
> > Anthony
>
> Something like patrolling?
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Patrolled_edit

Kinda sorta a little.  But, most importantly, it should be a counter
instead of a flag.  This would make it reasonable to open it up to
more than just admins.

I was also thinking of something which didn't require clicking on
"mark this as patrolled".  Simply viewing a diff would increment the
counter, if you're a member of the examiners (at the least this would
be restricted to logged in users, but more likely require users to
have been around for a while and have a lot of edits).  I guess this
introduces both an implementation problem and a privacy issue, a list
would have to be kept of which users viewed the diff, at least until
the counter maxed out, maybe at 10 users.

Hmm, perhaps the privacy issue is too severe (although in theory this
information is already stored in the log files).  If so, that'd mean
users would have to click something, which does make it sound a lot
like patrolled edits, with the addition of a counter.

Does anyone like the basic idea?  If a few people do, maybe we can
work out the details and then re-present it to the foundation.  But
darn that privacy issue, that might just be the achilles heel of the
idea.

Anthony