[Foundation-l] Adminship tools on Commons

Titoxd@Wikimedia titoxd.wikimedia at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 17:56:36 UTC 2007

Several things:
Temporary adminship is usually assigned for projects that either have no
administrators, or a limited number of administrators, and under some sort
of emergency (e.g. a spambot attacking Wikispecies with pictures of human
fecal matter). I am not sure about granting adminship to a large project
such as Commons, with an active community, for the purpose of a task that
does not require adminship.
Assuming the summary is correct (that you consider translating the interface
directly to SVN a waste of time), then what would happen would essentially
be an even larger waste of time. First, you translate the messages, which
then have to be manually gathered and modified by a developer, and then the
message file is created. That alternative, when compared to making or
updating a message file directly is sluggish. As for updating local files -
that can be perfectly done through the normal Commons processes. As many
users indicated on both RfAs, you can just edit pages, and one of the
hundreds of Commons admins will do that for you.
Finally, there is no such thing as an inherent "right to adminship", even if
you're an admin in another project, because you are talking about two
completely different communities. You could be the mayor of your town, but
be a complete stranger in another state - the exact same situation occurs
here. Sure, being an admin on another wiki will most likely have a positive
influence in other users' opinions, but at the end of the day, you have to
consider that the Commons community has to trust you. Assertions of "I will
come back to help" as the ones you made on your second RfA really have no
proof behind them; you simply do not have any track record *on Commons* that
will satisfy users' concerns. If you had the track record first, they would
be satisfied, and that's what a substantial portion of the opposition is
saying. Besides, this is really the wrong place to ask; the proper place
would be within Commons.
By the way, the reason there's an "en" on the top of Commons media pages is
not because they like en.wp, but because the toolserver barfs on the English
Wikipedia's database, throwing stale data, killing CheckUsage and other
toolserver-based tools.
Titoxd.