[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 22:34:07 UTC 2006

Catching up with mail... Birgitte, this post was spot on.

On 9/18/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> For some reason people at this level just cannot just
> work together for the greater good without political
> maneuvering.  Someone *must* be called out for past
> misdeeds.  So and so simply *cannot* work together.
> Foo must be mentioned to try and embarass X.  I am
> nearly certain proposals are run through back chat
> rooms before being made public.  I begin to wonder
> sometimes if certain groups have actually developed
> "talking points" on some issues.  Far too many
> disscussions on this list are approached with a
> noticable lack of sincerity from several parties.

...and many critical discussions are left hanging, to the detriment of
the organization -- or left without comment from the parties most
directly interested, and with only bystanders chatting among
themselves -- because it would be politically troublesome to engage in
them.

> Most issues are just another battle-ground in larger
> power-struggle.  If I haven't been clear on this
> already.  Infighting is  really harming this
> organization.  Cut it out!  Everyone!
>
> Stop gossiping
>
> Socialize in public channels
>
> Assume Good Faith

Timely reminders.  Ignoring this advice really is harmful, in deep and
lasting ways.  Not only do these things happen, but a culture is
growing up in which it is acceptable, if not expected of some, to
gossip, to speak one's mind only in private channels, to assume bad
faith when expedient.

If you are reading this thread, please pause to consider how much
Wiki[pm]edia time you spend in private IRC channels, on private lists
or pages, sharing gossip in private rather than engaging in public
debate.  And consider how often you have assumed bad faith over the
past year.

Wikipedians naturally share personal exchanges and disagreements in
open channels... on a wiki there is little choice.  Interesting how,
once backchannels and private correspondence become socially
acceptable options, the advantages to other standards may be
forgotten.

> As long as working at the Foundation level involves
> picking sides and which chat rooms you are invited
> too, it will not be something everyone can be a part of.

This is not only a matter of personal preference; working in a charged
environment makes it more time-consuming and draining to be involved.

++SJ