[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 17:26:47 UTC 2006

--- Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:

> Delphine is a perfect example of this.  She doesn't
> bitch abstractly
> about the foundation, she *gets to work helping make
> things better*.
> There are a TON of people like that.  And I think we
> need to communicate
> this far and wide throughout the wider community...
> don't think of the
> Foundation as some abstract entity which is trying
> to impose its will on
> people, but rather as something you can be a part
> of.
>
> --Jimbo

I applaud all the people that devote so much time to
working at the Foundation level.  But there is a large
problem that I believe keeps more people from becoming
a part of this.

For some reason people at this level just cannot just
work together for the greater good without political
maneuvering.  Someone *must* be called out for past
misdeeds.  So and so simply *cannot* work together.
Foo must be mentioned to try and embarass X.  I am
nearly certain proposals are run through back chat
rooms before being made public.  I begin to wonder
sometimes if certain groups have actually developed
"talking points" on some issues.  Far too many
disscussions on this list are approached with a
noticable lack of sincerity from several parties.
Most issues are just another battle-ground in larger
power-struggle.  If I haven't been clear on this
already.  Infighting is  really harming this
organization.  Cut it out!  Everyone!

Stop gossiping

Socialize in public channels

Assume Good Faith

Work together on the issues where you can actually
agree with your normal opposition.  There really must
be sometime you agree on.  I mean you all like
Wikimedia, right?

If you know you can never agree with someone on a
certain issue; Aviod them there.  Respond to the
comments made by third parties only.

If someone is trying to avoid fighting with you; don't
provoke them.

Before you hit send read your comments.  If anything
is a sly allusion to some historical confrontation,
take that part out.

Did I mention not proking people.  Please don't
provoke people.  Everyone has a few hot buttons.
Avoid pushing them.

This whole idea about wiki's being open to everyone?
Please realize that includes the people you cannot
stand.  So bite your tongue and work with them.  You
need not have children together!  Everyday people go
work and manage to deal with co-workers, customers, or
officials they cannot stand.  It is possible for it to
be done here as well.

As long as working at the Foundation level involves
picking sides and which chat rooms you are invited
too, it will not be something everyone can be a part
of.  I am now done abstractly bitching for the day.

Birgitte SB