[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Sep 19 08:12:08 UTC 2006

Delphine Ménard wrote:

>>Brad Patrick wrote:
>>

>>>From my perspective, what happens in the office to keep
>>>the servers running, bills paid, and all of the rest of the stuff that
>>>never touches the online space (much less in other languages and
>>>projects) could not be more separate than the day-to-day goings on of
>>>the projects.
>>>

>I am afraid I don't get what you mean here.
>
>Delphine
>(English as a second language. ;-) )

I think that what Brad is getting at is the need to begin identifying
the tasks that need to belong to the Foundation, and those that belong
to other elements of the Wikimedia family, whether it's a wikicouncil, a
project, a language or a chapter.  We need to start with what is
obvious, and work our way from there.  Some of the above tasks might
also belong to the chapters.

Clarity is important to the longterm health of the Wikimedia family.
Thus as long as the fear is there that the entire operation could be
taken over by proprietary corporate interests, that fear won't go away
by ignoring it.

Ec