[Foundation-l] Proposed guidelines in our IRC channels

Damian Finol damian at igluve.org
Fri Oct 13 02:14:06 UTC 2006

Hello,

Like the message I left to James F, a few weeks ago I had a college
professor who joined the IRC channel when he needed help (I'm talking
about the Spanish Wikipedia channel #wikipedia-es) and the amount of
profanity, childish behavior and more led him to tell me "Wikipedia
isn't a serious project" which I replied "The IRC Channel is not the
same as the Wikipedia" and then he pointed the page at Wikipedia-es
where it says to join the channel as "official" support, to which of
course I had to concede.

I don't think that setting some rules to be followed on the IRC channels
is bad, it's upping the quality of the conversations and channels; is
not, sometimes stop goofing around, but maybe make it a little more
serious, removing profanities and related things.

Regards,

Damian Finol
Maracaibo, Venezuela.