[Foundation-l] Proposed guidelines in our IRC channels

Sean Whitton sean at silentflame.com
Thu Oct 12 20:08:04 UTC 2006

That meta page is probably the list I had in mind, thank you for
pointing it out. As you say, it is thin on the ground with other
projects, so I'd appreciate people who know these channels adding them
in.

Birgitte, you're right about spreading it to channel topics. I think
some organisation of translation of something like "Help develop the
new Wikimedia IRC channel guidelines at [[m:IRC guidelines]]" is
necessary. I assume it won't be too hard for me to dig around meta and
find translators; it's not something I've had to do before.

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> I would not say that I have eve1r "denounced" #wikipedia.  I go there
> sometimes myself.  It's a bit too noisy for me.  And sometimes too
> juvenile.  But I have not denounced it.
>
>  From freenode's point of view, Wikimedia is the organization for the
> Wikipedia and Wikimedia channels.  We have always had a fairly light and
> loose connection with freenode and irc channels in general, because irc
> is irc, and takes care of itself.

Okay, I can understand that I may have phrased that a bit harshly. I
didn't actually see it myself and was going on the comments made by
David Gerard above. I'm interested in your thoughts on IRC taking care
of itself - I agree that to a certain extent it does, but I think we
can make it /better/ by developing material through other mediums.

I think we can make this work.

On 12/10/06, Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> henna wrote:
>
> >On 10/12/06, Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> >

> >>Birgitte SB wrote:
> >>

> >>I would have to agree that this list is far from complete in terms of
> >>what is being done with other Wikimedia projects, as I know of at least
> >>four other channels frequented by Wikibooks users that are not listed.
> >>

> >try this instead:
> >http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_channels
> >

> OK, that took care of one of the channels I was thinking of... now three
> more to go.
>
> Yes, I do know this is a wiki page and I could add them in if I wanted to.
>
> --
> Robert Scott Horning

	—Xyrael / Sean Whitton ~ Knowledge is power, but only wisdom is liberty
		sean at silentflame.com | xyrael.net