[Foundation-l] About web streaming in Wikimania

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 26 12:21:19 UTC 2006

On 11/26/06, Walter Vermeir <walter at wikipedia.be> wrote:
> I recommend;
> - try to get the recordings online between 15 and 60 minutes after every
> event online. That is really not difficult.
> - give priority on the audio recording above the video recording
> - providing a stable distribution channel for the media. Consider bittorrent

I watched a few recordings of the 2006 Wikimania, and the problem for
me was mostly that you' either see the speaker OK but not the slide,
or (almost) read the slide but only when the speaker was out of the
camera's range.

I'd suggest recording the speaker in both audio and video, while also
grabbing and recording the VGA signal of the presentation. Both videos
should then be merged into one (maybe side-by-side, making it
wide-screen;-)

While this should not be hard to do, it could prove difficult to do it
on the Wikimania itself. I'f I can't visit in 2007, I'd much prefer
such good quality recording a few days after the event than crappy
live-streams.

My 2 cents,
Magnus