[Foundation-l] About web streaming in Wikimania

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Sat Nov 25 23:25:47 UTC 2006

小犬 schreef:
> Hello everyone, I am Littlebtc, a member of Wikimania 2007 planning team.
>
> When we talk to sponsors about web streaming sponsorship,  they want
> to know how many people will use web streaming to watch the conference
> so that they can help us.
>
> So we'd like to know the amount of web streaming listener, or
> bandwidth of the streaming website during Wikimania 2006.

I was watching it when it worked.

Regarding the streams I would focus not on the live streams but trying
to get fast after every event the recoding of it online.

For Wikimanina 2006 it was announced several times that there where
recordings made and that the where coming online soon.

At this time these recordings are still not listed on the Wikimania 2006
archive page. What exist is made by people in the audience or recordings
made from the live stream.

I recommend;
- try to get the recordings online between 15 and 60 minutes after every
event online. That is really not difficult.
- give priority on the audio recording above the video recording
- providing a stable distribution channel for the media. Consider bittorrent

For the live stream;
- provide also an audio stream of it
- broadcast it also with peercast
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peercast
- The not announced use of RealMedia for the live stream for
Wikimania2006 was very inconvenient.
I understand that if the streaming service is offered for free by
someone it will be in the format the are useing.
But if the use a non WMF recommended file format it must be know in time
by the interested people so the can try to get support for it on there
computer. Also publish a sample file if that is the case so that you can
test if of playback works.

--
Contact: walter AT wikizine DOT org
Wikizine.org - news for and about the Wikimedia community