[Foundation-l] About web streaming in Wikimania

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 21:20:45 UTC 2006

On 26/11/06, Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 11/26/06, Walter Vermeir <walter at wikipedia.be> wrote:
> > I recommend;
> > - try to get the recordings online between 15 and 60 minutes after every
> > event online. That is really not difficult.
> > - give priority on the audio recording above the video recording
> > - providing a stable distribution channel for the media. Consider bittorrent
>
> I watched a few recordings of the 2006 Wikimania, and the problem for
> me was mostly that you' either see the speaker OK but not the slide,
> or (almost) read the slide but only when the speaker was out of the
> camera's range.
>
> I'd suggest recording the speaker in both audio and video, while also
> grabbing and recording the VGA signal of the presentation. Both videos
> should then be merged into one (maybe side-by-side, making it
> wide-screen;-)
>
> While this should not be hard to do, it could prove difficult to do it
> on the Wikimania itself. I'f I can't visit in 2007, I'd much prefer
> such good quality recording a few days after the event than crappy
> live-streams.

Fermilab do weekly colloquia for their staff, which are videoed and
archived on the web; some of these are quite interesting and I've sat
through a couple. Their web presentation is interesting and effective;
the video is put in a sidebar in the browser, so you can see the
speaker talking and gesturing, whilst the main "real estate" is taken
up by an HTMLed version of the presentation slides, which are
progressed along roughly in sync with the talk.

http://vmsstreamer1.fnal.gov/VMS_Site_02/Lectures/Colloquium/Lesk/vf001.htm
is Michael Lesk's talk on digitising everything, to pick an
appropriate example. Unfortunately, their implementation requires
RealPlayer, but there's no cast-iron requirement for that...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk