[Foundation-l] RfC: Mission & Vision Statements of the Wikimedia Foundation

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 19:05:50 UTC 2006

David Gerard schreef:
> On 21/11/06, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 11/20/06, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Utterly and totally. I really don't see a case for having removed it at all.
>>>

>> Forces us to do original reseach in defineing what is a language and
>> in some cases creating a written script.
>>

> See, this sort of answer is why people think you're a troll. The
> reasons "in their own language" is a good thing have been discussed on
> this list ad nauseam in the past.
>

> - d.
Hoi,
Defining what a language is, defining a script is a non trivial matter.
When you want to get into these kinds of thing there is a space for it.
There are people who dedicate their life to these kinds of thing. There
are two types of people (and many classifications), there are those that
do and there are those who don't.

Both for the defining what a language is and, for coming up for a
script, you are in the wrong place when you want to do it in the
Wikimedia Foundation. There are other organisations that deal with that.
There are people in those organisations that are "approachable" that do
not bite and who are happy when people show a "do and can" attitude.

When there is a need for doing original research to have a language or a
dialect or an orthography or a script recognised or dismissed by
Standard organisations, then the need for this within the Wikimedia
Foundation is to have it done outside of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Voting on "is this a language" is a bad idea. It just does not work.
Demonstrating that there is a big corpus in what is supposed to be a
language does work. This however has to be shown to relevant Standard
organisations because that is what they are there for.\

The question is, do you want to go that extra mile ..

Thanks,
    GerardM