[Foundation-l] RfC: Mission & Vision Statements of the Wikimedia Foundation

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Nov 21 02:18:39 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote

>== Mission Statement ==
>
>'''The mission of the Wikimedia Foundation is to empower and engage
>people around the world to collect and develop knowledge under a free
>license, and to disseminate it effectively and globally.'''
>
>'''In collaboration with a network of chapters, the Foundation
>provides the essential infrastructure and an organizational framework
>for the support and development of multilingual wiki projects and
>other endeavors which serve this mission. The Foundation is committed
>to making and keeping all information from its projects available on
>the Internet free of charge, in perpetuity.'''
>

>You are encouraged to translate the proposed Mission & Vision
>statements, and to carry this discussion into other languages -- see
>the language links at the top of the above-referenced pages to get
>started.

I have one very broad complaint about this mission statement, apart from
any specific points within it.  My vocabulary is reasonably good, and I
can understand what appears to be said.

Has anyone considered a translation that would benefit the people at
Simple English?  I've heard it said somewhere that simple language can
be very effective.

Ec