[Foundation-l] RfC: Mission & Vision Statements of the WikimediaFoundation

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 09:26:32 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:
> On 11/15/06, Titoxd at Wikimedia <titoxd.wikimedia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Personally, I dislike the new vision statement. The older one had the exact
>>same meaning, and was much "catchier"; the current proposal sounds too
>>corporate.
>

> There were two primary reasons for the changes:
>
> 1) We're not only about access, but also about participation. A
> read-only wiki is not very interesting. We saw "share in" as a phrase
> that could transport many meanings.

Nod. If you can come up with another way of expression that "share in",
it will be interesting to look at.

But the big change indeed is an attempt to reflect the reality of what
WE are trying to do.
We are not seeking only to feed the world with
information/knowledge/content; we are also collecting and organising
this knowledge. And the collection is not restricted to a happy few, but
is an open and collaborative process.

> 2) Florence and I saw "That's what we're doing" as potentially
> misleading for such an ambitious claim. Given how fucked up the
> situation still is in much of the developing world, we need to be
> careful not to come across as pretentious.

yup.

Ant