[Foundation-l] RfC: Mission & Vision Statements of the WikimediaFoundation

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Nov 15 06:57:04 UTC 2006

On 11/15/06, Titoxd at Wikimedia <titoxd.wikimedia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally, I dislike the new vision statement. The older one had the exact
> same meaning, and was much "catchier"; the current proposal sounds too
> corporate.

There were two primary reasons for the changes:

1) We're not only about access, but also about participation. A
read-only wiki is not very interesting. We saw "share in" as a phrase
that could transport many meanings.

2) Florence and I saw "That's what we're doing" as potentially
misleading for such an ambitious claim. Given how fucked up the
situation still is in much of the developing world, we need to be
careful not to come across as pretentious.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.