[Foundation-l] "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

R.O.C sdnyroc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 04:37:16 UTC 2006

thank you very much for those friendly and supportive messages. it is great
to learn about WCN, which i think has similar goals as the chinese
conference. i think that these events are helpful, constructive, and
beneficial, and i believe that all the three conferences will be blessed.

regarding the chinese name, i see a similar case here in which "維基年會" might
have been misunderstood. "維基年會" is not and shall not be called "wikimania".
to put long explanations/reasons about the two languages short, here is the
cheat sheet:

"wikimania" = "維基媒體國際大會" (literally, "wikimedia international conference")
or if it'll be held annually "維基媒體國際年會" (literally, "wikimedia international
annual conference")

"wiki" = "圍紀" (similar pronunciation with "維基", literally "order and
organized by (working) together") or "維客"

"維基" functions as an adjective or defining noun, meaning any project
sponsored by wikimedia foundation, it is also used informally as a short
form of "維基百科" (wikipedia) or "中文維基百科" (chinese wikipedia). several chinese
users have warned that "維基" need to be treated as a trading name for
projects of wikimedia, and "wiki" should not be translated as "維基" (use "圍紀"
instead). the interwiki link in en.wikipedia seems misplaced.

"wikimedia" = "維基媒體"

"wikipedia" = "維基百科"

that being said, the "維基" in the name of chinese conference "中文維基年會" means
both wikipedia and wikimedia.

the reason why "chinese wikipedia conference" or "chinese wikipedian
conference" is disfavored is that, there are chinese projects on wikisource,
wikibooks, wikiquotes, wikitionary, wikispecies, and the recently opened
(yeah~~) wikinews. the conference will not limit topics on chinese
wikipedia, and contributors of the other projects are anticipated at the
conference, so they should be respected.

roc